Skip to Main Navigation. Each navigation link will open a list of sub navigation links.

Skip to Main Content

Apply to the University of Wyoming apply now

Global Resource Navigation

Visit Campus
Download UW Viewbook
Give to UW

Wyoming Business Tips for June 14-June 20

June 9, 2009

A weekly look at Wyoming business questions from the Wyoming Small Business Development Center, part of WyomingEntrepreneur.Biz, a collection of business assistance programs at the University of Wyoming.

By Justin W. Hansen, GRO-Biz Procurement Technical Assistance Center procurement counselor

"What are some simple, quick-return steps I can take to market my business to the government?" Samantha, Riverton

One of the most common questions I get as a procurement counselor is how to conduct some simple yet effective marketing to the government.

It is important that contracting officers and purchasing agents know about your company and the products or services provided. This way, when they have the need, you will be contacted.

Here are four quick ways to achieve this:

The first step is to complete a mandatory registration. This process begins with calling Dun and Bradstreet at 1-866-705-5711 to get a Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number and then complete the Central Contractor Registration (CCR) at

A Small Business Administration profile also must be completed, which is accessible only at the end of the CCR. These registrations will make a business searchable by product, services, North American Industry Classification System codes or region. Also, complete the Online Representations and Certifications Application (ORCA) to be paid after the completion of the contract.

Next, you will want to create a government specific business card. The card will have a DUNS number and also contact information. Additionally, it should tell the contracting officer that the small business owner has the CCR updated and ORCA completed. Distribute this card to the person responsible for procurement in every government office. How do you find them? Call their local offices.

Once you have this card, take the next step and convert it to an e-business card that you can e-mail to contracting officers. This is especially important for offices that coordinate a large volume of products and services, such as the 90th Contracting Squadron at F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne.

When someone contacts them to find a product or service provider, they search their immediate resources first saved on a desktop. Your company should be one of those resources.

Finally, do your best to show up at conferences, expos and other events where the contracting officers are likely to be. Their work is to find product and service providers. Contact a local Small Business Development Center ( or Procurement Technical Assistance Center ( to learn more about these events.

A blog version of this article and an opportunity to post comments is available at

The WSBDC is a partnership of the U.S. Small Business Administration, the Wyoming Business Council and the University of Wyoming. To ask a question, call 1-800-348-5194, e-mail or write 1000 E. University Ave., Dept. 3922, Laramie, WY 82071-3922.

Posted on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Share This Page:

1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071
UW Operators (307) 766-1121 | Contact Us | Download Adobe Reader

Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Instagram Icon Facebook Icon

Accreditation | Virtual Tour | Emergency Preparedness | Employment at UW | Gainful Employment | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Accessibility information icon