Broader Impacts Consulting & Collaboration

“WySCI is a very good resource. I hope the university can support their effort.”

~Assistant Professor, UW Department of Physics and Astronomy after consultation on framework of broader impacts, community-engaged outreach best practices, and ‘match-making’ with relevant campus partners to develop broader impacts part of a major NSF proposal

Aligning Your Proposal with Federal Funding Priorities

If you're just getting started, or feeling stuck on how to conceptualize, plan, or fund your efforts, have a look at our resource brief which discusses the following:

  • What are Broader Impacts, anyway? (And what if you're not applying to NSF?)

  • Insights about how NSF funds Broader Impacts

  • Common Broader Impact-related mistakes PIs make in their proposals

  • Who to target in your Broader Impacts

  • Key resources on and beyond campus

SciComm Support Drop-In

Via zoom. Details here. Weekly, free consultations. Open to all career stages, including faculty, staff, postdocs, and students. You can get advice, brainstorm, and find collaborators for topics including (but not limited to): Broader Impacts, communicating with journalists, connecting with school groups, designing figures & infographics, poster and slide design, public-oriented science writing, graphic design tips, annd more! We're also happy to be a sounding board for your great ideas.

Consulting & Collaborations

Looking for ideas, collaborators, expertise, etc.?

Members of the WySCI board are available to consult and collaborate with you to develop public engagement and broader/research/societal impacts proposals, identify mechanisms for implementing them, etc. We are available to serve as Co-PIs, senior personnel, collaborators, and mentors. See below for specific areas of expertise we offer.

Don't see what you're looking for?

Contact WySCI director, Bethann Garramon Merkle, at for recommendations on folks within and beyond WySCI who may have the expertise you're looking for.

Can WySCI really help you?

“WySCI expertise helped me secure internal agency support for a multi-million-dollar, science-focused proposal.”

~UW alum, state agency researcher

Who is looking for support from WySCI & why?

  • WySCI has consulted with 15 UW departments + 5 external universities, state agencies & numerous scicomm professionals

  • 78% of support requests we field are focused on research and funding.

  • 93.9% of participants made progress due to working with WySCI.

100% would recommend WySCI or already have.

Pie chart showing 78.8% of people WySCI supported would recommend WySCI while the remaining 21.2% already have.

50+% of UW support requests come from faculty & staff

Pie chart shows people who seek WySCI support ar 37.1% faculty, 37.1% grad students, 14.3% staff, and 11.4% work outside academia.


“We are so lucky to have you here at UW! I have recently been hitting a wall with a student writing meaty, meaningful words for a grant proposal. Your fantastic [grant application] resource comes just at the right time. THANK YOU!!! Now I have some homework resources for my student and I to review and reflect upon that will hopefully move the mark considerably more than I have in the last couple weeks.”

~Full Professor, UW Dept. of Geology & Geophysics

WySCI Team Expertise

This list includes a wide range of specific aspects of broader impacts that WySCI affiliates are willing to collaborate and consult on. For details, or advice regarding topics not on this list, contact WySCI director, Bethann Garramon Merkle, at We're happy to provide recommendations on folks within and beyond WySCI who may have the expertise you're looking for.

  • Art-science integration (including drawing, multi-media, and transdisciplinary approaches)

  • Broader impacts assessment & evaluation

  • Collaborative communication

  • Creative writing

  • Facilitation (e.g., conflict mediation, program facilitation, etc.)

  • Field courses (e.g. REUs, etc.)

  • Grant writing

  • Humanities approaches

  • Journalism (including journalism research)

  • Justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) in STEM

  • K-12 education

  • Mass media (journalism, etc.) and society

  • Mentoring

  • Program design/implementation

  • Public health + science engagement

  • Science writing

  • Social science research and methods

  • Storytelling

  • Transdisciplinary approaches

  • Video production

  • and more! If you're not sure, reach out!

Contact Us

WY Science Communication Initiative

Dept of Zoology & Physiology (3166)

Bethann Garramon Merkle, Director

1000 E University Ave

Laramie, WY 82071


Find us on Instagram (Link opens a new window)Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window)Find us on Twitter (Link opens a new window)Find us on LinkedIn (Link opens a new window)Find us on YouTube (Link opens a new window)