External scholarships are developed and funded by organizations external of UW. They
are available to the public and can potentially help students cover the costs of their
education and education-related expenses. Student eligibility rules are created by
the organization offering the scholarship and can depend on many factors. If you are
a student who has been awarded an external scholarship or a donor/organization who
is funding an external scholarship, please review the below information to comply
with UW External Scholarship policy and ensure your external scholarship is applied
External Scholarship Policy
The UW Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid requires that all external scholarships
are submitted with a complete External Scholarship Form. If an external scholarship is submitted without a complete External Scholarship
Form, it may be returned to the submitting party and delay processing to the student’s
account. As indicated on the External Scholarship Form, the donor/organization should
specify whether to issue the scholarship all at once or in two payments. If they do
not specify, we will split the amount in half and issue it at the beginning of each
semester if the amount is greater than $1000; if not, the full amount will be loaded
to the current semester.
External Scholarships should be received, to the below address, by August 1 (fall
term) or January 1 (spring term), to ensure timely processing to student account.
If received after December 1 (fall term) or May 1 (spring term), scholarships will
be applied to the following term, unless noted on the External Scholarship Form.
University of Wyoming
Scholarships & Financial Aid
1000 E. University Ave
Laramie, WY 82071-3335
- Please request that donor/organization make checks payable to the University of Wyoming.
- Checks made payable to award recipient will require endorsement, and delay timely
processing to student account.
- Checks should include recipient W ID#, if not included on the External Scholarship
Form, to ensure correct application.
- UW Taxpayer Identification number (TIN): 83-6000331
- If a donor/organization requests a financial needs analysis (based upon FAFSA results),
a copy of your financial aid award letter, or a copy of your transcript at the end
of a semester or year, it is up to each student to provide requested information to their respective scholarship donor. If the information
is not provided to the donor, the student may risk losing their external scholarship
- Official transcripts may be requested by the student from the Office of the Registrar.
- Invoice or Enrollment Verification may be attained by the student from their WyoWeb account.
- Cost of Attendance (COA): The combination of total awards cannot exceed your COA.
- Hathaway: If you receive a Hathaway Need Grant as an Honors-level student, the grant may fluctuate
with the addition of other grants and scholarships, including external scholarship
- Athletes: If you receive an outside donor scholarship you must complete a Form through the
Athletics Department for verification of the award process.
Recommended External Scholarship Search Engines
- Here are some of the best websites for scholarships you can use to find awards you’re
- Scholarships.com divides scholarships by a variety of unique categories, including GPA, military affiliation,
ethnicity, artistic ability, ACT or SAT score and residing state.
- Fastweb combines awards from both large and small directories, and will also notify you when
a new scholarship matching your description is posted and when you upcoming deadlines.
- College Board helps you find awards by your interests, field of study, club affiliations or specific