Skip to Main Content

University of Wyoming Division of Information Technology

Types of UW Computer Accounts

UWYO Domain Computer Accounts

UWYO computer accounts and initial passwords are pre-created for all UW faculty, staff, and students once their information has cleared either Human Resources (for faculty and staff) or the Admissions Office (for students).

To obtain your username and initial password, go to, and click Obtain Username and Initial Password.

For faculty and staff, an office visit from your assigned departmental user consultant is recommended so they can review with you what the account offers, how to use the account, and verify that your account is functioning properly.

A UWYO account is required to log on to UWYO domain computer.

See the New UW Computer Accounts FAQ for more information. Contact the IT Help Desk at 766-4357, option 1 or email with questions or problems.

Administrative Systems Accounts

Accounts on the university administrative system are restricted to faculty and staff who have been pre-approved by the appropriate data manager for the system they want to access.

Administrative Systems:

  • Student Information System (Banner)
  • Advance (Institutional Advancement)
  • PIStOL (PeopleSoft Financials)
  • HRMS (PeopleSoft Human Resources Management System)
  • Blackboard
  • Poll Everwhere

Requesting accounts on all UW administrative systems (

Special Computer Accounts

Email aliases or generic mailboxes will accommodate most special needs. However, "Special Computer Accounts" (special user accounts) are available when needed. Special computer accounts can be used for outside consultants or for shared use by university faculty or staff (by sharing the account password)*. Special computer accounts have the same functionality as normal computer accounts including user login, network disk space, and access to network resources.

See the UW Special Computer Accounts FAQ for more information. Contact the IT Help Desk at 766-4357, option 1 or email with questions or problems.

Requesting a Special Computer Account
Special computer accounts and generic mailboxes are available for a small monthly fee ( and will be included in each department’s monthly telecommunications bill. This fee covers the costs of software licenses, server resources, and administration. To request a special computer account contact the IT Help Desk at 766-4357 (766-HELP).

*Understanding the risks associated with special computer accounts -
user accounts grant an elevated level of access to university-wide computer resources and can potentially be used for malicious behavior. It is always best to keep a one-to-one relationship between users and accounts to maintain accountability. If multiple people have access to an account and it is abused or used in a malicious way, assigning accountability is impossible.

Academic Affairs Computer Accounts

Password and Name Changes

Changing Your Password on the UWYO Domain

To change your domain password (or if you have forgotten your password), see How to Change Your UWYO Domain Password. If you experience problems contact the IT Help Desk, 766-4357, option 1, for assistance.

Recommendations for password maintenance.

Name changes in the Human Resources and Student Information Systems

To change your name in the Human Resources System (HRS) records, contact the Human Resources Department.

To change your name in the Student Information System (SIS) records, contact the Office of the Registrar.

Names on the Domain are downloaded directly from these two databases.

Compromised/Disabled Computer Accounts

Share This Page: