Grievance Policy and Student Resource List

What To Do If You Have a Problem

Adapting to life in a higher education setting can be difficult. For many students, attending college marks their first experiences away from home and family. The atmosphere is different from high school or community college. At times during your college career, you may experience academic or personal challenges. If this should occur, make an appointment with your advisor. If he/she is not available or cannot meet with you immediately, contact the Visual and Literary Arts Department Head.

Listed below are some sources of on-campus assistance for students.


  • Academic counseling is available from the Office of Academic Advising in the College of Arts and Sciences. Visit their website at You can also call 307-766-4013 or email



  • The UW Counseling Center helps students deal with problems that are interfering with their academic success. The center is located in Room 341 of Knight Hall. All appointments must be made in person. All services are free. The center can be reached at 307-766-2187.


  • The UW Psychology Clinic in Room 307 of the Biological Sciences Building provides both psychotherapy and assessment services for children and adults. Not all problems are appropriate for the clinic and some cases may be referred elsewhere for services. To learn more about clinic services or arrange an intake appointment, call 307-766-2149 or visit their website at You can also email


  • The Dean of Students Office provides programs, assistance, referral, and outreach to students who have personal and academic concerns. This office can direct you to the right person or office if you need a tutor, personal counselor, academic advisor, or career counselor. Visit their website at or call 307-766-3296.


  • The UW Writing Center is located in Coe Library. The center provides free assistance with all aspects of writing. Appointments and walk-ins are welcome. You can contact the center at 307-766-5250 or view their website at  You can also email them at


  • The Math Lab caters primarily to students in algebra, trigonometry and calculus but also assists with other problems and questions when possible. Located in Ross Hall 247, the lab does not take appointments. Their hours vary and all services are free. The schedule can be viewed by visiting the website at


  • The Oral Communication Center offers help with all stages of speech-making. Located in Ross Hall 442, center hours vary. All services are free. Visit their website for a schedule


  • The STEP Center helps students seek out support or opportunities (tutoring, advising help, clubs and organizations, support programs, etc.) that meet their individual needs. Visit their website for more information or to schedule an appointment.



Department Grievance Policy

If you experience a problem with a department faculty member or instructor, the department policy is as follows:
  • Step One – Address the problem with the instructor.


  • Step Two – If the problem cannot be resolved, make an appointment with the Department Head. You will be asked if you have taken care of step one. The Department Head will attempt to work with all parties involved to resolve the matter.


  • Step Three – If a resolution cannot be reached, the Department Head will consult with the Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.


Further information for resolving institutional and academic grievances can be found at Institutional Complaints (


Contact Us

Art and Art History Program

Department of Visual & Literary Arts

Visual Arts Building, Room 110

Hours: 8 am - 5 pm (Academic Year)

7:30 am - 4:30 pm (Summer)

1000 E. University Ave.

Dept. 3138

Laramie, WY 82070

Phone: (307) 766-3269


Find us on Instagram (Link opens a new window)Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window)Find us on Twitter (Link opens a new window)Find us on LinkedIn (Link opens a new window)Find us on YouTube (Link opens a new window)