yellow flowers next to a sidewalk

Sponsored Students and Third Party Billing

Sponsored Students

Student Financial Services provides 3rd-party deferred billing services for sponsored students and will invoice your Sponsor directly for your tuition, mandatory fees and other expenses in accordance with the terms of your sponsor’s letter of financial guarantee.

In order for our office to invoice your Sponsor, you must send a current Letter of Financial Guarantee from your Sponsor each semester which details tuition, mandatory fees and any other charges your Sponsor has agreed to pay on your behalf.

After we receive your Financial Guarantee, we will bill your sponsor after the last add/drop date. This is to ensure we receive payment before the final payment deadline. If you drop or add classes by exception, you must notify us so that we can re-invoice your sponsor.

SACM does NOT cover online classes unless you get pre-approval through SACM.  You will need to send our office a copy of your Online Course Financial Guarantee or you will be responsible for the online class by the due date.

Students walking on campus

Health Insurance Waiver Request

Students who have an insurance policy provided through their sponsor can request a waiver in order to opt out of the required UW insurance policy and charges.

  • In order to request this waiver, the sponsor’s insurance policy must be reviewed and approved by the UW Health Insurance Office.
  • Insurance plans must meet equivalency requirements in order to be waived.
  • Insurance plans can be submitted for review by contacting the Student Medical Insurance Office by phone at 307-766-3025 or by email at
  • UW international insurance must be waived by the last add/drop date or the student is responsible for the insurance charge.
  • For more information on the Health Insurance Requirements, please visit Student Medical Insurance.



As a UW student, you are ultimately responsible for charges to your UW student account.

Your Sponsor does not get billed for all charges to your Bursar account, so please remember to monitor your account regularly via WyoWeb, and to pay on time the amounts due that are your personal responsibility.

For any questions or concerns about charges on your Bursar account, especially charges which you think should have been invoiced to your Sponsor, please contact our office by email at or by telephone at 307-766-6233.

View of Laramie with the Snowy Range in the background


Third Party Billing

In order for our office to bill third party payers, we must receive an authorization letter from the third party before the start of classes.

The authorization letter must include:

  • name of student
  • beginning and end date of sponsorship
  • types of fees/charges covered
  • third party’s billing address or email address

Sponsors for Third Party Billing must be willing to pay regardless of grades.

We also expect payment within 30 days of our invoicing.  If your sponsor fails to pay the agreed amount within 60 days of the billing date, you will be responsible for payment.

Please send third party authorization letters by email to or by mail to Student Financial Services, Dept. 3923, 1000 E. University Ave. Laramie, WY 82071.

Examples of Third Party Payment Sponsors:  Some State Prepaid Tuition Plans, State of Wyoming, High Schools, and Employers.

Contact Us

Student Financial Services

Office Location: Knight Hall 172

Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm

Summer Hours: Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm

1000 E University Ave

Dept. 3923

Laramie, WY 82071

Phone: (307) 766-6233

Fax: (307) 766-3633