Mullen Fire


Barnyards & Backyards

Thinking through what to do
Assessing the situation
Burn Severity - Knowing how severly a wildfire has burned your land can help you choose what to do (and what not to do). It is one of the keys to what techniques will or won't be successful. This chart shows signs that can help you determine burn severity.
USFS BAER report - This report covers some of the initial assessment of the burn severity and other characteristics of the Mullen Fire
Hazard Mitigation Assistance - County FEMA funding
Financial resources for agricultural producers
Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP) (USDA - NRCS): For lands that are part of a private agricultural operation. This program has funds available for specific practices to address post fire concerns.
The Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program (USDA - NRCS): A federal emergency recovery program which helps local communities recover after a natural disaster strikes. The program offers technical and financial assistance to help local communities relieve imminent threats to life and property caused by floods, fires, windstorms and other natural disasters that impair a watershed.
Emergency Forest Restoration Program (EFRP) (USDA - Farm Service Agency): This program helps the owners of non-industrial private forests restore forest health damaged by natural disasters. The EFRP does this by authorizing payments to owners of private forests to restore disaster damaged forests.
The Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) (USDA - Farm Service Agency): This program helps farmers and ranchers to repair damage to farmlands caused by natural disasters by giving ranchers and farmers funding and assistance to repair the damaged farmland.
Control Measures
Soil Erosion Control after Wildfire - There are several steps to take to reduce the amount of soil erosion. A landowner, using common household tools and materials, can accomplish most of these methods in the aftermath of a wildfire.
Contour Wattles - also known as straw wattles, fiber roles, bio-logs, or straw tubes are used to form a continuous barrier to intercept water running down a slope. When installed properly, they can increase water infiltration and reduce soil erosion.
Sandbag Barriers - inexpensive temporary walls, one to two feet high that are constructed by stacking sand-filled or earth-filled sandbags and placing them to divert mud and other debris flows away from buildings.
Log Erosion Barriers - Log Erosion Barriers (LEBs) are logs placed in a shallow trench on the contour to intercept water running down a slope and trap sediment. This treatment may also be known as contour log felling, log terraces or terracettes.
Seeding - Re-establishment of permanent vegetation (such as grasses and forbs) provides long-term erosion control, may restore lost habitat values, and may help suppress noxious weed invasion after a wildfire.However it takes time and favorable climatic conditions to establish vegetation from seeding operations. There are other considerations as well. Read this document for more information.
Reseeding after fire: If, when, and how - Barnyards & Backyards article to help you think it through.
Hand Raking - is used on severely burned slopes with hydrophobic soil properties that will also be treated by mulching for erosion control, and may also include seeding to reestablish vegetation.
Tree Planting
Vegetative Recovery after Wildfire - Provides info on determining fire damage on a wide variety of conifers and chances of survival, and how aspens spring back from fires.
Variety of topics covered
What to watch for
Cheatgrass Control
Cheatgrass (downy brome) and Wildfire - a noxious weed that can invade grassland communities and displace native plants; it thrives in disturbed areas (such as some burned areas). Learn more avout this weed and control measures.
Have further questions? These organizations may have some answers.
Albany County Emergency Management Agency
Blake Halsey
Emergency Coordinator
Office: (307) 721-1815
Albany County Fire Warden
Chad Dinges
Phone: (307) 760-3641
Farm Services Agency (Carbon & Albany counties)
Phone: (307) 326-5657 ext 2
Laramie Rivers Conservation District
Phone: (307) 721-0072
Saratoga-Encampment-Rawlins Conservation District
Phone: 307-326-8156 ext 4
Wyoming Game & Fish
Ryan Amundson
Terrestrial Habitat Biologist
Office: (307) 331-0787

Britt Brito
Terrestrial Habitat Biologist
Office: (307) 760-0489
Wyoming State Forestry - Laramie
Travis Pardue
Sign up to receive notifications of emergency situations from your county
Contact Us

Barnyards & Backyards
University of Wyoming Extension
1000 E. University Ave, Department #3354
Laramie, WY 82071

Find us on Facebook (Link opens a new window) Find us on Twitter (Link opens a new window) Find us on YouTube (Link opens a new window)